Saturday, July 31, 2010

MP3 Meditation - Useful Or Not?

Through the centuries meditation has used gongs, chimes, bells, chanting, music and rhythm as aids during meditation. Om is the underlying hum of the universe. (Interesting thought, isn't it?) MP3 meditation is a twenty first century adaptation of these principles. Sound has always been a crucial element of meditation healing and the various meditation techniques. The idea of MP3s is to assist in guided meditation. To settle the incessant, inner chatter that we all have and allow us to seek the outer, within.

My problem with meditation is quieting my mind. I sit in a darkened room, sometimes with a candle for company, and think about not thinking. Although I have meditated on and off for years, I must admit that often meditation can be a chore. My mind wanders to what I am having for dinner. Have I fed the dog. What do I have to do at work tomorrow. Occasionally, I will realize that I have been elsewhere for a time. But not very often.

MP3 meditation downloads use Binaural, Monaural and Isochronic tones to induce a deep meditative state. In a later article I will discuss the differences between these tones. For now, if you are interested, I suggest you Google them. They are a repetitive tone, somewhat like the soft whoomp! of a ceiling fan, which pulses in the background to a soundtrack of music, water and wind. The effect is both soothing and hypnotic.

What I notice is that one of two things happens while I listen to the download. Either, before I know it, the download has finished and I realize that my mind has been somewhere else for the previous 30 minutes. Or, the sounds seem to go on for hours and I return to them occasionally and think, "Still going."

From successful personal experience, I can say that the MP3 meditation downloads are a very useful aide to both beginners meditation and for the more experienced.

Martjn P Kerrigan is the author of two books. The Adventures of Princess Lau, the funniest and wisest book you will ever read. And Uluru Dreaming. The most frightening book you will ever read. He is a student of wing chun kung fu for twenty one years so far and continues to improve. One day he may be very good. His interests are esoteric, spiritual, Star Trek, Buffy and Angel. For samples of mp3 meditation downloads go to: http://mp3meditationstore.com.

Article Source:http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Martin_P_Kerrigan



View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment